A D.C. synagogue once again evaded the wrecking ball, physically relocating this morning for the second time its storied history.
Adas Israel, the city’s oldest and very first synagogue, no longer holds a congregation in its original building (they moved to Cleveland Park in 1951). It was converted to the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington’s Lillian and Albert Small Jewish Museum in 1975. But as the relentless march of development once again menaced the small building, it was lovingly—and laboriously—carried to safety. It is the first of a two-part move to its final home, a trek scheduled for 2019…read the rest here.